Monday, January 29, 2007

My Recent Visit

After this weekend I am pleasantly surprised, yet again, at Natalie's remarkable progress. Of all that I witnessed, I noticed the largest improvements in feeding and walking. I will elaborate on each:

Nataliie has been off the 7PM to 7AM nightly tube-feeding since Wednesday, January, 24 and has had to rely solely on her own oral consumption for nutrition. Not only is she taking all of her food orally but her medicine as well. Watching Nat eat was amazing because although she was able to feed herself last time I visited she did not have much of an appetite. The same cannot be said for this trip. Natalie has developed a bit of a sweet tooth since the last time I saw her late December. While I was there I think she must've eaten at least five brownies (which she made earlier in the week with her therapist)! I was so happy to see that she was able to recognize when she was hungry and actually eat most of the items on her meal tray.

On top of Nat's improved self feeding she was also walking a lot better (and faster)! This was wonderful to watch because I was not aware that she was no longer using her walker (Becca says she told me but I beg to differ). Natalie is now able to walk with one person supporting her right side. She has a tendency to slouch to the left but I noticed an improvement in her posture by her walk with Al on Sunday. This Sunday was a very relaxed day. Tina brought Nat to a nearby church in the morning and then Tina, Nat, Al, Becca, and I went out for lunch at Panera. The family has no problems transporting Natalie - though the wheelchair can sometimes be a pain (it wouldn't fit in the Mustang's trunk). When we all returned to the facility we pretty much hung out for the rest of the day. Later on Sunday we all took Nat for a walk in the hallway. Al held her right side lightly and she was off. It was very surprising to see how fast she was able to move and like I said earlier her posture had improved greatly from the day before. She must have walked for about ten minutes without stopping for a break. Al asked her at one point if she wanted to sit in her wheelchair for a minute but she was having nothing of it!

All in all this was a wonderful weekend and I'm glad I was able to witness more of her miraculous recovery. As for the family's stay at Sunnyview - I, personally, believe they will be home by the end of February but I will update the blog as soon as a date is mentioned and confirmed.

Thank you all for reading and keeping up to date on Natalie's recovery! More positive news to follow...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nat! You're amazing!! Keep it up! From a soon to be therapist - knowing you're walking and feeding yourself is so encouraging! I'm keeing you in my thoughts and prayers!
:)
Julie Schnepp

Anonymous said...

Nat,
I am so happy to hear of your, once again, amazing progress. So glad to see that you have found your love for brownies again! Keep up the great work!!!!!

Love always,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Nat great job! I am so proud and so happy to hear of all this! You keep up the great work! Your in my prayers and thoughts everyday hun!!!!
Ashley Kenealy
Class of 2004
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Natalie! What fabulous news! I am so happy to hear that you are doing so well!! :) Keep up the good work! Love you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Natalie
What wonderful news!! We are so happy that you have done so well. I bet the family is celebrating each accomplishment. You'll be back home on Dry Hill before you know it. Thinking of you often!!
The Rhode Family

Kerri McKee said...

Congratulations - I continued to be inspired by all of you and of course most by Natalie. The will, support and love you have all shown is nothing short of amazing. Thank you for helping me appreciate what life and family has to offer.

Anonymous said...

So glad to be able to read that things just keep getting better and better. Continue to shine Nat, you simply are amazing.
Thoughts and Prayers continue
Love,
Becca Laisdell
class of 2004

Anonymous said...

Mike: You have brought tears to my eyes by your update. Natalie what an amazing young woman you are. To the Foulger Family your strength,hope,love and committment should be a lesson to us all. I know there must have been times when you thought there would never be LIGHT at the end of the tunnel, but by this update I would say that is no longer true. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Karen P

Anonymous said...

Natalie,
Great to read how well you're doing!!! Enjoy the chocholate in my book it is the # 1 medicine for everything. I'll continue to keep you and the rest of the family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Nat,
i am so happy to hear how far you have come. i think about you daily and your progress amazes me. when you come back to watertown and are ever on Brookside Drive stop by...i would love to meet you. yellow house next to the church.

chelsey miller

Anonymous said...

Nat- Your progress continues to amaze me! Keep it up! Always thinking of you. Your in my prayers.
Katie Denny

Anonymous said...

Nat...
Way to go, girl! What an incredible spirit. Wondering if anyone needs anything??? Love to send you all a care package or two.... Please let us know your needs. And Tina, don't say "we don't need anything" in your most English accent.... If any of us were in your situation, you'd be right there, every step of the way.... I'd love to help if its ok; feeling pretty useless to you all way up here in Watertown.

Miss you all like crazy! Please let us know what you need

Anonymous said...

Natalie, We are so glad to hear of your progress. Everyone at the little restaurant at the bottom of the hill is keeping up with your progress and praying for you. To the Family you are a great example of what a family should be and we are pleased to call you neighbor. You also are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Great Job Nat! Keep it up! I look foward to seeing you around the neighborhood sometime in the near future! Kepp going Nat!

~Kierstyn Zaykoski

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

What a change since I left in December. It is very early days in terms of the injuries She sustained in the accident, she is so remarkable in her determination. I think of you all daily, and send my love to everyone, thanks to all the therapists who have done a good job with our lovely Nat.

I miss you all so much, and admire the wonderful way you have stuck together despite the unimaginable difficulties. Mum sends her love and she prays all day every day for all of you! xxxxx

Gretchen said...

Dear Foulger family,
I have been reading Natalie's updates religiously and cannot tell you how very happy I am for all of you. Natalie is amazing, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that! I have written to you in the past, near the conception of this blog. You don't know me, but my son, Jimmy Yonkovig, spent 4 months at Sunnyview after his car accident so I know first hand what a wonderful facility it is. Jimmy's therapists at Sunnyview were Kerri, Taryn and Megan and we came to love them dearly. I hope that once you are ready to leave Sunnyview if they reccomend that Natalie go to a sub-acute nursing home that you will consider our own Samaritan Keep Home. Jimmy has been here since June and his continuing progress has been fantastic. The entire staff is so caring and the therapy he's receiving is top shelf. The senior residents absolutely love having someone young around so it's great for them too. They have quickly "adopted" him! It helps to be home and certainly broadens the support system immensely. I'm hoping to be able to bring my son home soon, but their main goal is to make him totally independent and he's not quite there yet. If you ever need someone to talk to about this next phase, please call me anytime... 783-4086. I keep you all always in my thoughts and prayers. Natalie, you're awesome!!! Good luck. Gretchen Rowland

Anonymous said...

Nat! I words cannot explain the excitement and happiness I feel while reading how well you are doing. I am so happy for you, "Big Al", and the rest of the family. Keep up the good work love :) You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Heather Lyndaker